Sunday 3 March 2013

Every journey starts with a single stride.

Early morning on Saturday, February 2nd and I wake up for the first time in my new house, freezing cold. The only unpacked items in the kitchen provide me with toast and tea and after a quick stop to pick up Multiterrainer it's on to my first race of the year in Guiseley.

In the steamy village hall there are lots of familiar faces although unfortunately not Micksworld, who managed a grand slam of the Ultra championships last year but is too sick to make it for this 23 mile sprint round Baildon Moor, Ilkley Moor and Otley Chevin.

A low key bell ring and we're off through urban woods, then a fast section through the original Emmerdale village before the steepest climb of the race (lasting about 1 vertical minute) up to the first food checkpoint. I use my usual technique of knocking back a couple of drinks, making a bit of small talk with the marshals and setting off at a walk with whatever I grabbed from the selection of biscuits, chocolate and savories. As long as I refuel properly this amount increases with each checkpoint. I know if things are going wrong as I stop feeling hungry which is always the beginning of the end on a long run.

From here it's out into the Moors for the next couple of hours. A long haul up to the top of Baildon Moor, slowing to a walk as the slope steepens, but still keeping up withe the runner in front of me, who is doing all the actions of running without any of the speed. It's hard to make the decision when to stop 'running' and turn to a fast walk, but also easy to start to walk too soon.

(c) Nick Ham


From the trig point on Baildon Moor, the visibility is crystal clear. It's still below zero, but with a cloudless blue sky, and in the winter morning's purple clarity Whetstone Gate, where we are heading via the top of Ilkley Moor, looks close enough to touch. Eyes off the horizon and back to the ground for the drop off the Moor and the crossing through Harvey Smith's racehorse gallops, a quick food stop by Weacher reservoir then the long climb, skipping over icy bogs and up to Lanshaw Lad.

For the last few years, the route from here westwards would have been be a muddy, slippery 3 mile stumble. Now however, big flagstones have been laid right over the moor top, and it's possible to get to near road racing speeds across here, which is good for race times, but not so good for my knees. I used to enjoy picking my way through the unofficial stream crossing points made by walkers from pieces of wood and stones, but now everyone is just led right through it all on a big yellow brick road.

Ow, my knees. Ow, my knees.... 

A slight diversion for the far western checkpoint, and then a very familiar moor run back to Burley Woodhead; my usual Sunday morning outing.

I'm still feeling good; surprising considering my lack of training since the turn of the year, and being out in the crisp, clear morning looking down on Lower Wharfedale has transformed my mood. I know I am not going as quickly as the year before, but I'm enjoying it.

I lead a runner through the slightly complicated route through the streets of Menston, and on to the final, very steep climb up to the top of Otley Chevin. As I walk very slowly up the hill, I try not to think of the much bigger ascents ahead of me this year. Just as I reach the top, I'm overtaken by the current Ladies U23 British  fellracing champion, and her supporting boyfriend gives me some encouraging words as they disappear ahead into the distance.

A final checkpoint and the fast descent to the finish, and it's time for pie and peas as a conveyor belt of friends sit with me to talk through the run.

15 minutes slower than last year, but feeling good, my final conclusion as I head barefoot back to the retail park to pick up my car, is that this was a good start to a big 6 months of running.  

Next prep race is a step up to ultra distance at the Haworth Hobble at the beginning of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment